The next chase: August 16th, 2015
Disclaimer: we are not mountain guides or mountain experts. Please do your own research, understanding the hike and route and make sure you are comfortable getting up and down on your own.
We live by a simple rule: experience more by 9AM than most do in their entire day. Staying true to that rule, we're back with another chase.
And after last events 350+ people at the top of Mount Seymour, we've got some big... huge boots to fill. But we've never been the kind of people to shy away from a challenge, so we're putting together the best chase yet.
We can't tell you the details, but for those that are willing to show up, just know it will be worth it.
Are you in?
When: Sunday, August 16th, 2015
Time: Meeting at 4:30AM. Taking off from the lot at 4:45AM sharp.
Where: Mount Seymour overnight parking lot (1700 Mt Seymour Rd, North Vancouver BC), The lot is located at the top of Mount Seymour Road, to the right of the gate that blocks the road off.
Trail: We will be summiting First Peak up Mount Seymour. You can check out the details of it here. The link is for Third Peak and we will only be going to First Peak (the 7th dot), so it is about 3/4 of what they say there.
Sunrise: 6:00AM. We plan on summiting no later than 5:50AM.
Emergency Contact: If you have trouble finding the spot, any questions or cannot make it last minute, contact Julian at 604-307-7816!
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- We will be hiking in the dark on the way up there, so bring flashlights or headlamps to light your way.
- The hike is intermediate difficulty, about 4.4km each way with 400M of vertical.
- It takes about an hour each up and an hour down, but move at a pace you are comfortable with.
- We'll all leave the parking lot together, but please know the route and research what to expect (trail conditions, weather, etc).
- Hiking boots are recommended.
- Find a hiking buddy and stick together at all times.
- You will have cell service 90% of the way up there, in case of emergency (but let's be honest, likely Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook).
- Use the hashtag #chasingsunrise and tag @chasingsunrise on Instagram. Follow us on Instagram!
WHAT TO BRING:
- BRING A HEADLAMP OR FLASHLIGHT. WE WILL BE HIKING IN THE DARK.
- Good hiking boots or shoes that are adequate for dirt trail conditions.
- Dress very warm, but in layers. You'll work up a good sweat on the way up, but stopping for the 30-45 minutes at the top to watch sunrise can get cold. We suggest bringing more than you think is necessary and taking it off as needed.
- Bring a pair of gloves to keep your hands toasty.
- Bring an extra pair of warm socks. There are some muddy/watery sections and wet feet make for a miserable hike.
- Bring food, snacks and coffee to enjoy and share.
- Bring whatever else you need to hike up and down a mountain such as Mount Seymour (hiking poles, water, nutrition, etc).
- Assess your own ability, know the route, the conditions and make sure you are adequately prepared.
- Finally, remember to do your morning lunges. Not only do they help you warm up and keep you fit, but you'll be the coolest kid in the parking lot as you do them!
FAQ & OTHER
Do I have to sign-up? Yes, you do! We require sign-up for a few reason: 1) to get a handle on how many people are coming up, 2) so we can provide updates if necessary, and 3) to make sure that everyone understands the risks and what's involved.
Does it cost anything? Nothing. Sign up and show up ready to experience something amazing.
Facebook Event: check out our event page here for updates or if you're looking to organize rides! If you have extra room, feel free to throw it up on the page!