Disclaimer: we are not mountain guides or mountain experts. Please do your own research, understanding the hike and route and make sure you are comfortable getting up and down on your own.
100s of Canadians standing on the edge of the world, anticipating sunrise after an hour long hike through the pre-dawn wilderness.
The silence of the morning surrounding them.
From the back, a voice begins to sing out "O' Canada..." and within seconds, her voice is echoed by the 100s around her, all joining in to kick Canada Day off like it's never been done before!
Their passion, their pride, their appreciation for what this country has given us travelling down from the mountains across the Vancouver landscape...
This is going to be a Canada Day you will never, ever forget.
Are you in?
PS. Red and white is the uniform (see below for details) so we're running a LIMITED EDITION Pay Bills and Die Canada Day tank!!!
When: Friday, July 1st, 2016
Time: Meeting in the parking at 2:30AM. Taking off from the lot at 3:15AM sharp.
Where: Main Mount Seymour Parking Lot#4 (1700 Mt Seymour Rd, North Vancouver BC), The lot is located at the top of, and very end of Mount Seymour Road. Follow it all the way up.
Trail: We will be summiting First Peak up Mount Seymour. You can check out the details of it here. The link is for Third Peak and we will only be going to First Peak (the 7th dot), so it is about 3/4 of what they say there.
Sunrise: 5:10AM. We plan on summiting no later than 5:00AM.
Emergency Contact/Questions: If you have trouble finding the spot, any questions or cannot make it last minute, contact Julian at 604-307-7816! If you have questions, look for the guys/girls with the glowing red arm bands in the parking lot!
WHAT TO WEAR
All of the proper gear: (See below "What To Bring")
It's Canada Day and we are wearing our nation's colours loud!
Red, white and Canadian. Hockey jerseys, hockey sticks for hiking poles, red and white shirts, massive flags, you name it!
We want it to look like the Gold Medal Game of the 2010 Olympics comes to Mount Seymour!
WHAT TO EXPECT
- WINTER IS STILL HERE: There is significant snow towards the top of the mountain. As well as large patches along the way.
- We will be hiking in the dark on the way up there, so bring flashlights or headlamps to light your way.
- The hike is intermediate difficulty, about 4.4km each way with 400M of vertical.
- It takes about 1.5 hours up in a group and about an hour down, but move at a pace you are comfortable with.
- We'll all leave the parking lot together, but please know the route and research what to expect (trail conditions, weather, etc).
- Find a hiking buddy and stick together at all times.
- You will have cell service 90% of the way up there, in case of emergency (but let's be honest, likely Snapchat, Instagram, Facebook).
- Assess your own ability, know the route, the conditions and make sure you are adequately prepared.
- Use the hashtag #chasingsunrise and tag @chasingsunrise on Instagram.
Follow us on Instagram!
THE GROUND RULES
CODE OF CONDUCT
Safety Is First:
- You must be prepared: If you are not prepared, find another place to catch the sunrise with your friends.
- Spread Out - it will get crowded, go to an area where you feel safe and have adequate room to move
We Are All Adults
- Look out for each other. Stay safe and help keep others safe.
Leave No Trace
- Take all garbage and items back out with you.
- Clean up after others.
- Mount Seymour Washrooms need to be taken care of - kept tidy, and not cleaning shoes in there.
WHAT TO BRING
- BRING A HEADLAMP OR FLASHLIGHT. WE WILL BE HIKING IN THE DARK.
- GOOD HIKING BOOTS OR SHOES THAT ARE ADEQUATE FOR SNOW (as well as dirt, mud, and wet conditions. #NoNikeKicks!!!!!!!)
- Hiking poles are insanely helpful for every level of fitness, on both the way up and the way down.
- Dress very warm, but in layers. You'll work up a good sweat on the way up, but stopping for the 30-45 minutes at the top to watch sunrise can get cold. We suggest bringing a shell to block out the wind and bringing more than you think is necessary/taking it off as needed.
- Bring a pair of gloves to keep your hands toasty.
- Bring an extra pair of warm socks. There are some muddy/watery sections and wet feet make for a miserable hike.
- Bring food, snacks and coffee to enjoy and share.
- Bring whatever else you need to hike up and down a mountain such as Mount Seymour (hiking poles, water, nutrition, etc).
- Finally, remember to do your morning lunges. Not only do they help you warm up and keep you fit, but you'll be the coolest kid in the parking lot as you do them!
FAQ & OTHER
Do I have to sign-up? Yes, you do! We require sign-up for a few reason: 1) to get a handle on how many people are coming up, 2) so we can provide updates if necessary, and 3) to make sure that everyone understands the risks and what's involved.
Does it cost anything? Nothing. Sign up and show up ready to experience something amazing.
Facebook Event: check out our event page here for updates or if you're looking to organize rides! If you have extra room, feel free to throw it up on the page!