The Next Chase: Sunday, April 19th, 2015.
Disclaimer: we are not mountain guides or mountain experts. Please do your own research, understanding the hike and route and make sure you are comfortable getting up and down on your own.
When: Sunday, April 19th, 2015
Where: Meeting in the Mount Seymour parking lot (1700 Mt Seymour Rd, North Vancouver BC)
Time: Meeting at 4:20AM. Taking off from the lot at 4:40AM sharp.
Trail: First Peak up Mount Seymour. You can check out the details of it here. We will only be going to First Peak (the 7th dot), so it is about 3/4 of what they say there.
Sunrise: 6:15AM. We plan on summiting by 6:00AM.
What To Expect:
- The hike is intermediate difficulty. It's about an hour and a half up at a moderate pace.
- We will be hiking in the dark on the way up there, so bring flashlights or headlamps.
- We'll all leave the parking lot together, but know the route and research what to expect (trail conditions, weather, etc.). We are not mountain guides and everyone is responsible for managing themselves up and down.
- There will be snow and icy sections on the way up. Hiking boots are recommended. If you have spikes/crampons, they are highly suggested. If you don't own them, you can buy/rent them at MEC.
- Move at a pace you are comfortable with. Be careful of any icy sections. Find a hiking buddy and stick together.
What To Bring:
- Good hiking boots or shoes that are adequate for mud, icy and snowy conditions.
- Dress warm, but in layers. The pre-dawn hours can be chilly up top.
- BRING A HEADLAMP OR FLASHLIGHT. WE WILL BE HIKING IN THE DARK.
- Bring food, snacks and coffee to enjoy and share.
- Remember to do your morning lunges. Not only do they help you warm up, but you look unreal in the parking lot doing them.
- Bring whatever else you need to hike up and down a mountain such as Mount Seymour (hiking poles, water, spikes, nutrition, etc).
- Assess your own ability, know the route, the conditions and make sure you are adequately prepared.
FAQ & Other
Do I have to sign-up? Yeah. We require sign-up for a few reason: 1) to get a handle on how many people are coming up, 2) so we can provide updates if necessary, and 3) to make sure that everyone understands the risks and what's involved. Sign-up at the top of the page.
Does it cost anything? Nope. Sign up and show up ready to hike.
Mount Seymour Gate: There is a night guard at the bottom of Mount Seymour. Let him know that you are part of the Chasing Sunrise crew and he should let you through.
Oh, and when we do it right, this is what you can expect...