Disclaimer: we are not mountain guides or mountain experts. Before you come, do your own research, understand the route, have the right gear, and make sure you are comfortable getting up and down on your own.
There are some unreal places in our backyard, and this is one of the most surreal. An enormous, turquoise lake surrounded by glaciers.
Sunday morning, we're grabbing coffee, connecting, and sending it up into the alpine.
Bring you're rad self, a floaty, a friend or 10 (or come solo), a garbage bag, bug spray, all the stoke & snacks (essentially the same thing) and let's do Garibaldi Lake like it's never been done before (and leave it in better than we've ever seen it)
It's a long steady hike, but no one will be left behind, and the back of the pack is where the party is at anyway. Study up, get prepared and let's make Sunday count.
What: Garibaldi Lake Trail
When: Sunday, July 16th, 2017 - Meeting at 5:30AM at Park Royal McDonalds.
Where: Meeting Park Royal McDonalds directions here
Time: Meeting at 5:30AM. We'll leave the lot by 5:45AM sharp. Don't be late!
Trail: Garibaldi Lake Trail ~9KM each way (18KM round trip) with light elevation changes. Details can be found here.
Difficulty Level: 1-2 This hike is described as intermediate. The distance isn't short, and the uphill is steady, but the trail itself is fairly simple and we will take our time getting there. No will ever be left behind. It's summer, but bring appropriate gear for snowy, wet, cool weather/conditions.
Emergency Contact/Questions: If you have trouble finding the spot, any questions or cannot make it last minute, contact Gordon at 778-772-5426 or Cam at 778-998-6024.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Weather – It's going to be beautiful, but weather changes extremely quickly up there and when the sun goes away it will be cold. A full and up-to-date weather report can be found here.
- Cell service – There will be very little to no cell service throughout, it can't be relied upon.
- Research – Do your research, know the route/area, know what to expect, and come prepared.
- Bugs - Every season has it's ups and not so ups. The Bug's Life has begun this year, so bring some spray.
This is NOT a guided adventure.
Assess your own ability, know the route/area, the conditions and make sure you are adequately prepared with the proper gear.
- Extra warm and dry (non-cotton) layers. We will be up there for a while, and it will be colder in the shady areas.
- Proper hiking boots, or trail shoes.
- A garbage bag
- A headlamp/flashlight.
- A floaty!
- Proper food and hydration for the day - and enough to sustain you if you get lost overnight.
- Your 10 essentials.
- The best snack game you've got.
Don't have gear? Head over to the closest Mountain Equipment Co-op and pick it up!
OTHER RECOMMENDED GEAR
- Sun screen
- Bug spray
- Bear repellent / bangers
- A battery pack (for your cell phone)
- Emergency blankets & whistles.
- Dress warm, but in layers. We recommend bringing more than you think is necessary/taking it off as needed.
- A shell to block out the wind and rain.
- Hiking poles.
- A towel.
- Whatever else you deem necessary to stay warm, dry and safe based on the area and conditions.
- More snacks.
CODE OF CONDUCT
This community is built on the strong values of respect, care, and responsibility for people and the areas we interact with. We don't tolerate ignorant, intoxicated, disrespectful, or damaging behaviour.
We’re all in this one together, so take a minute to understand, read and live the simple rules we go by:
GOOD VIBES ONLY
Bring only good vibes, take care of those around you, and know we’re in this together.
Getting every one of us home safely is priority one and the responsibility of all of us.
YOU'VE GOT FRIENDS
We’re here to meet rad people and make new friends, so take time to introduce yourself.
LEAVE NO TRACE
Respect and care for the wild as if it was your own – because it is. It's simple: leave no trace.
MAKE IT COUNT
We’re here to create the kind of live we want to live. While you’re here, make it count.
WE'RE ALL ADULTS
With independence comes some responsibility and we expect that you will act accordingly.
FAQ & OTHER
Do I have to sign-up? Yes, to attend, sign-up is mandatory. We require sign-up for a few reason: 1) to get a handle on how many people are coming up, 2) so we can provide updates if necessary, and, most importantly 3) to make sure that everyone understands the risks of the event, what is involved, and the rights they are waiving by attending.
Does it cost anything? Nothing. The only thing that is required is signing up.
SIGN-UP & WAIVER
VOLUNTARY ASSUMPTION OF RISK, WAIVER OF LIABILITY, AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT
CHASING SUNRISE EVENT JULY 16, 2017
GARIBALDI LAKE TRAIL, BC
I've read the waiver and agree.
Take me to sign-up.
PARTICIPANTS: READ THIS DOCUMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE SIGNING. THIS DOCUMENT HAS LEGAL CONSEQUENCES AND WILL AFFECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS AND WILL LIMIT YOUR ABILITY TO BRING FUTURE LEGAL ACTIONS.
NOTE TO MINORS: IF YOU ARE UNDER THE AGE OF 18, YOU MAY ONLY ATTEND THE CHASING SUNRISE EVENT ACCOMPANIED BY AN ADULT. YOU ALSO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOUR PARENT OR GUARDIAN HAS REVIEWED, UNDERSTOOD AND AGREED TO THE TERMS BELOW.
NOTE TO PARENTS/GUARDIANS OF MINORS: YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE REVIEWED, UNDERSTOOD AND AGREED TO THE TERMS BELOW (SUCH TERMS BEING INTERPRETED AS IF THEY APPLIED TO BOTH YOU AND YOUR MINOR CHILD/WARD) AND HAVE THE LEGAL AUTHORITY TO ENTER INTO THIS AGREEMENT ON BEHALF OF YOUR MINOR CHILD/WARD.
1. Released Parties include CHASING SUNRISE INC. and its affiliates and their respective directors, officers, employees, agents, contractors, insurers, spectators, co-participants, equipment suppliers, and volunteers; GARABALDI PROVINCIAL PARK and its directors, officers, employees, agents, contractors, insurers, equipment suppliers, and volunteers; all CHASING SUNRISE INC. event sponsors, organizers, promoters, directors, officials, property owners, and advertisers; governmental bodies and/or municipal agencies whose property and/or personnel are used; and any or all parent, subsidiary or affiliate companies, licensees, officers, directors, partners, board members, supervisors, insurers, agents, equipment suppliers, and representatives of any of the foregoing (together, the “Released Parties”)
2. Releasing Parties include: the participant (and/or my participating minor child/ward) as well as participant’s (and/or my participating minor child/ward’s) spouse, children, parents, guardians, heirs, next of kin, and any legal or personal representatives, executors, administrators, successors and assigns, or anyone else who might claim or sue on participant’s (and/or my participating minor child/ward’s) behalf.
3. Voluntary Assumption of Inherent Risks: The Chasing Sunrise Event (hereafter referred to as the “CS Event”) is meant to be a fun personal test of strength, stamina, and mental grit that takes place in one place in one day. The objective is to hike a mountain for sunrise. The hike will not be guided and Chasing Sunrise Inc. acts only to bring a group of like minded individuals together. In summation, the CS Event is a group hike that presents a physical and mental challenge to participants.
I acknowledge that the CS Event is a test of my (and/or my participating minor child/ward’s) physical and mental abilities that carries with it inherent risks of physical injury. Inherent risks are risks that cannot be eliminated completely, regardless of the care and precautions taken by Chasing Sunrise Inc. (hereafter used when referring to the corporate entity and Released Parties).
I understand and acknowledge that the inherent risks include, but are not limited to: 1) contact or collision with persons or objects, contact with natural obstacles, and unexpected encounters with wildlife; 2) weather-related hazards (e.g., extreme heat, extreme cold, humidity, ice, rain, fog); 3) inadequate first aid and/or emergency measures; and 4) judgment- and/or behavior related problems (e.g., erratic or inappropriate co-participant behavior, erratic or inappropriate behaviour by the participant, errors in judgment by personnel working the CS Event.)
I further understand and acknowledge that any of these risks and others, not specifically named, may cause injury or injuries that may be categorized as minor, serious, or catastrophic. Minor injuries may include, but are not limited to: scrapes, bruises, sprains, strains, muscle soreness, nausea, cuts, sunburn, abrasions, and contusions. Serious injuries are less common, but do sometimes occur. They include, butare not limited to broken bones, fractures, torn or strained ligaments and tendons, concussions, dehydration, heat exhaustion and other heat-related illnesses, mental stress or exhaustion, infection, vomiting, dislocations, hyperthermia, hypothermia, anemia, electrolyte imbalance, loss of consciousness, dizziness and fainting. Catastrophic injuries are rare; however, we feel that participants should be aware of the possibility. I also understand that it is my responsibility to consult with my personal physician prior to participating in the CS Event to ensure that such participation will not pose any unusual risks to my health and well-being.
I UNDERSTAND FULLY the inherent risks involved in the CS Event and assert that I (and/or my participating minor child/ward) am/are willingly and voluntarily participating in the CS Event. I have read the preceding paragraphs and acknowledge that 1) I know the nature of the CS Event; 2) I understand the demands of this activity relative to my (and/or my participating minor child/ward’s) physical condition; and 3) I appreciate the potential impact of the types of injuries that may result from the CS Event. I hereby assert that I knowingly and willingly assume all of the inherent risks of the activity on my behalf and/or on behalf of my minor child/ward and take full responsibility for any and all damages, liabilities, losses, or expenses that I (and/or my participating minor child/ward) may incur as a result of participating in the CS Event.
I understand that it is my responsibility to know the areas to be hiked, and if I believe or become aware that any are unsafe or pose unreasonable risks, I agree to immediately notify appropriate personnel. I (and/or my participating minor child/ward) accept full and sole responsibility for the condition and adequacy of my/our equipment and assert we have the knowledge to operate the equipment in a safe manner. I understand that the hike is not guided and I am fully responsible for navigating the hike on my own.
4. Waiver of Liability for Ordinary Negligence: In consideration of being permitted to participate in the CS Event, and for other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which are hereby acknowledged, I (on behalf of the Releasing Parties) hereby forever waive, release, covenant not to sue, and discharge Chasing Sunrise Inc. from any and all claims resulting from the INHERENT RISKS of the CS Event or the ORDINARY NEGLIGENCE of the Released Parties that I (and/or my participating minor child/ward) may have arising out of my/our participation in the CS Event.
5. Waiver of Liability for Breach of Statutory Duty: In consideration of being permitted to participate in the CS Event, and for other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which are acknowledged, I (and/or my participating minor child/ward) (on behalf of the Releasing Parties) hereby forever waive, release, agree not to sue, and discharge the Released Parties from any and all claims arising from any statutory duty of care, including any duty of care owed under the Occupier’s Liability Act, [RSBC 1996] CHAPTER 337 on the part of the Releasees, and further including the failure on the part of the Releasees to take reasonable steps to safeguard or protect me/us from the risks, dangers, and hazards of participating in the CS Event.
This agreement applies to 1) personal injury (including death) from incidents or illnesses arising from the CS Event participation, which includes injury during the event, medical treatment, and while on the premises (including, but not limited to sidewalks, parking areas, restrooms, and dressing facilities); and 2) any and all claims resulting from damage to, loss of, or theft of property.
6. Indemnification Agreement
In consideration of being permitted to participate in the CS Event and for other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which are hereby acknowledged, I hereby agree to hold harmless, defend and indemnify the Released Parties from and against any and all claims of co-participants, rescuers, and others arising from my conduct in the course of my (and/or my participating minor child/ward’s) participation in the CS Event. For the purposes hereof, “claims” includes all actions and causes of action, claims, losses, costs, expenses and damages, including legal fees and related expenses. This indemnity shall survive the expiration or sooner termination of the CS Event.
7. Personal Information: Collection, Use and Disclosure
8. Severability: I understand and agree that this Agreement is intended to be as broad and inclusive as is permitted by the Province in which the CS Event is held and that if any provision shall be found to be unlawful, void, or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision shall be severed from this Agreement and does not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions.
9. Agreements for the Protection of Participants: I represent and warrant that I (and/or my participating minor child/ward) am/are in good health and in proper physical condition to safely participate in the CS Event. I certify that I (and/or my participating minor child/ward) have no known or knowable physical or mental conditions that would affect my/our ability to safely participate in the CS Event, or that would result in my/our participation creating a risk of danger to myself or to others.
I represent and warrant that I (and/or my participating minor child/ward) am/are in full command of my/our faculties and am/are not under the influence of alcohol or drugs and agree not to participate in a CS Event while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. I assert that I (and/or my participating minor child/ward) have not been advised or cautioned against participating by a medical practitioner.
I understand that it is my responsibility to continuously monitor my own (and/or my participating minor child/ward’s) physical and mental condition during the Event, and I agree to withdraw immediately and to notify appropriate personnel if at any point my/our continued participation would create a risk of danger to myself or to others. In the event of an injury to me (and/or to my participating minor child/ward) that renders me/us unconscious or incapable of making a medical decision, I authorize appropriate Chasing Sunrise Inc. personnel and emergency medical personnel at the event to make emergency medical decisions on my/our behalf (including, but not limited to CPR and AED). I authorize Chasing Sunrise Inc. to secure emergency medical care or transportation (i.e., EMS) when deemed necessary by Chasing Sunrise Inc.
10. Photography: I understand that any and all photographs, motion pictures, recordings, and/or likenesses of me (and/or my participating minor child/ward) captured during the CS Event by Chasing Sunrise Inc., its affiliated entities or contractors, and/or local media (television camera crews, radio stations, and online bloggers) become the sole property of Chasing Sunrise Inc. I grant the right, permission and authority to Chasing Sunrise Inc. and its designees to use my name (or any fictional name), picture, likeness, portrait, motion pictures, recordings, and/or likenesses (collectively “Images”) in all forms and in all media and in all manners, without any restriction as to changes or alterations for advertising, trade, promotion, exhibition, or any other lawful purposes, and I waive any right to inspect or approve the Images including written copy that may be created and appear in connection therewith. I further understand that Chasing Sunrise Inc. and its designees have the full right to sell and/or profit from the commercial use of such Images. I hereby release and agree to hold harmless Chasing Sunrise Inc., its assigns, licensees, successors in interest, legal representatives and heirs from any liability by virtue of any blurring, distortion, alteration, optical illusion, or use in composite form whether intentional or otherwise, that may occur or be produced in the recording of the Images, or in any processing tending toward the completion of the finished product. I agree that Chasing Sunrise Inc. owns the copyright in these Images and I hereby waive any claims I may have based on usage of the Images or works derived therefrom, including but not limited to claims for either invasion of privacy, personality rights or libel.
11. Majority Age: I represent and warrant that I have reached majority age.
12. Acknowledgment of Understanding: I have read this Assumption of Risk, Waiver of Liability, and Indemnification Agreement and fully understand its terms. I understand that I (and/or my participating minor child/ward) am/are giving up substantial rights, including my/our right to sue. I further acknowledge that I (and/or my participating minor child/ward) am/are freely and voluntarily signing the agreement and participating in the CS Event, and intend my signature to be a complete and unconditional release of all liability due to ORDINARY NEGLIGENCE of the Released Parties or the INHERENT RISKS of the activity, to the greatest extent allowed by law in the Province in which the CS Event is held.
IF I AM A PARENT OR GUARDIAN OF A PARTICIPANT UNDER THE AGE OF MAJORITY WHO IS PARTICIPATING IN THE CS EVENT (“MINOR CHILD/WARD”), I HEREBY GIVE MY APPROVAL FOR MINOR CHILD/WARD’S PARTICIPATION IN THE CS Event, REPRESENT THAT THE MINOR CHILD/WARD IS IN GOOD PHYSICAL CONDITION AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I HAVE REVIEWED UNDERSTOOD AND AGREE TO THE TERMS HEREIN AND HAVE THE LEGAL AUTHORITY TO ENTER INTO THIS ASSUMPTION OF RISK, WAIVER OF LIABILITY AND INDEMNIFICATION AGREEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE MINOR CHILD/WARD.
General Terms. Jurisdiction. This Agreement will be governed exclusively by the laws of the province of British Columbia. Severability. If any provisions of this Agreement is invalid or unenforceable, the other provisions in the Agreement will remain in full force and effect. Entire Agreement. This Agreement constitutes the entire Agreement between the parties and replaces any prior agreements. Headings. The headings used in this Agreement are for stylistic purposes only and none of the content in the headings are intended to be legally binding.