This is not an official Chasing Sunrise event.
There is no help or guidance provided by Chasing Sunrise Inc. on this trip.
You're totally cool getting to and from Yosemite on your own and sorting out all the details required to do so!
THE (QUICK) DEATS
What: Spirit Quest 3.0 - Yosemite National Park (and back)
When: Friday, November 10th to Monday, November 13th
Meet-Up Time: 6:00PM, Wal Mart - 2355 160 St, Surrey, BC V3S 9N6
Total Distance: ~3,500km
Total Hours Driving: ~40 hours in 3 days.
THE (NOT SO QUICK) DEATS
FRI, NOV 10TH
Stop 1 - Surrey BC
- ARRIVAL LOCATION: Wal Mart – Surrey, BC
- Address: Wal Mart - 2355 160 St, Surrey, BC V3S 9N6
- ARRIVAL TIME: 6PM
- DURATION OF STOP: 0.5 hours
- PURPOSE: pre-game chat / safety / ground rules
- DEPARTURE TIME: 6:30PM
- HEADING TO: Portland, OR
DRIVE TIME: 4.75 hours
SLACK TIME: 0.75 hours for border line-up
SAT, NOV 11TH
Stop 1 – Portland, OR
- ARRIVAL LOCATION: Portland, OR
- Address: McDonalds 10050 SW Barbur Blvd, Portland, OR, 24 hours
- ARRIVAL TIME: 12AM
- DURATION OF STOP: 0.5 hours
- PURPOSE: quick meet up / snacks / coffee
- DEPARTURE TIME: 12:30AM
- HEADING TO: Redding, CA
DRIVE TIME: 6.75 hours
SLACK TIME: 1.0 hours for gas/snack stops
Stop 3 – Redding, CA
- ARRIVAL LOCATION: Lumberjacks – Redding, CA
- Address: 501 E Cypress Ave, Redding, CA 96002, USA
- American meals in cabin-themed digs.
- ARRIVAL TIME: 8:15AM
- DURATION OF STOP: 1.75 hours
- PURPOSE: breakfast
- DEPARTURE TIME: 10:00AM
- HEADING TO: Sacramento, CA
DRIVE TIME: 2.5 hours
SLACK TIME: 0.5 hours for gas/snack stops
Stop 4 – Sacramento, CA
- ARRIVAL LOCATION: Wal-Mart/Starbucks/Target – Sacramento, CA
- Address: 3661 Truxel Rd, Sacramento, CA 95834
- ARRIVAL TIME: 1:00PM
- DURATION OF STOP: 1 hour
- PURPOSE: grab groceries and anything else we need
- DEPARTURE TIME: 2:00PM
- HEADING TO: YOOOOOOSEMITE!
DRIVE TIME: 3.75 hours
SLACK TIME: 1.25 hours for gas/snack/skate sessions stops
Stop 5 - Final Destination - Yosemite National Park, CA
- ARRIVAL LOCATION: Hodgdon Meadow Campground
- Address: Hodgdon Meadow Campground
- ARRIVAL TIME: 7:00PM
- DURATION OF STOP: The night
- PURPOSE: hang out / camp
- DEPARTURE TIME: damn early the next morning
About Hodgdon Meadow, CA
- 105 first-come, first-serve sites
- Back-up 1: Can check Upper Pines to see if any reservations were dropped.
- Back-up 2: Wawona Campground
- 93 first-come, first-serve sites
- 1 hour drive, south
- Info: https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wawonacamp.htm
SUN, NOV 12TH
This plan is to be discussed and confirmed by the group on Saturday night. Will depend on road conditions and openings.
1 / 6:37AM – Sunrise Up Sentinel Dome
- Leave campground 5:00AM
- Heading to Sentinel Dome Trail
- Approx. 55 min drive from Hodgdon Meadow Campground
- Arrive in parking lot 6:00AM
- 3.5km round trip easy hike.
- Approx. 20 to 30 minutes to get to top.
- 169 metre elevation gain, mostly done at the end when you climb the dome.
- Park in parking lot, signage all the way up.
- To the west, you'll see almost a reverse Tunnel View of the Yosemite Valley and can see beyond to the Merced River canyon. To the north is Yosemite Valley, including El Capitan and Yosemite Falls. You'll see Nevada.
2 / ALL DAY – Explore Glacier Point / Half Done / Yosemite Valley
- Will happen post-breakfast. Breakfast spot TBD.
- Adventure will depend on road openings.
3 / EVENING – Sunday Night Accommodations – Upper Pines Campground
- TO DO: Pre-book your accommodation. $26/night per site, up to 6 people.
- To keep it close, grab one of the following sites: 54, 56, 57, 58, 60, 63, 80 - 94. We're holding down spot 88.
- Location: Yosemite Valley, near Half Dome Village (formerly Curry Village), at 4,000 ft (1,200 m) elevation
MON, NOV 13TH
This plan is to be discussed and confirmed by the group on Sunday night. Will depend on road conditions and openings.
1 / 6:37AM – Sunrise at TBD Location
- Location will be determined Sunday night by the group.
2 / 9:00AM – Head Back to Canada
Approx. 17 hours back to Peach Arch Border