Photo Cred: Brandon Jean
This is not an official Chasing Sunrise event.
There is no help or guidance provided by Chasing Sunrise Inc. on this trip.
You're totally cool getting to and from The Rockies on your own and sorting out all the details required to do so!
End of summer. Long weekend. The Canadian Rockies. Endless ice fields. Floating in some of the most badass lakes. Hikes and views that will be some of the raddest you'll find in North America. Oh yeah, and you'll be surrounded by some of the raddest people you'll ever road trip with (and Rocky Road ice cream stops every chance we get, duh!)
ROCKY ROAD(trip) 2018
Right beside us, within car-shot are some of the greatest natural experiences this continent has to offer.
Most people just drive through them, but not us:
The Canadian Rockies and back – in a weekend.
Endless lakes, summits, and lookouts.
A ton of coffee.
One badass Labour-Day weekend trip that will set the tone for your fall.
This, friends, is how you do long weekends right.
PS. For a whole bunch of legal reasons, this isn't an official CS event.
Think of it more as an open roadtrip with a whole bunch of us all committing loosely to the same game plan.
We've detailed a solid plan below, but feel free to take and choose what you want from it.
All people coming will be in charge of booking their own camping (details below).
Take a read through our schedule and then if you're planning on driving down,
drop your name below and we'll keep you up to date with everything.
What: Rocky Road(trip) – to the Canadian Rockies and back in a weekend.
When: Friday, August 31st to Monday, September 3rd
HOW THIS WORKS
These aren't official CS trips. The itinerary is put together as a rough outline for a rad trip through the Rockies and a suggestion to the community to go explore it. There is no CS leadership or guides throughout the trip, and you are expected to be able to take care of yourself, including managing your own camping within your car.
Know that these kinds of trips aren't for everyone, but for those that they work for, they are pretty damn awesome.
We've thrown the schedule below. Feel free to follow along for all of it, copy part of it, or just meet the crew where ever it make sense for you.
DAY 1: FRIDAY, AUGUST 31ST
8PM PST – Take-Off At Your Own Accord
Leaving from Vancouver, no meet-up location set.
Drive 🚗: 9 hours plus a 1 hour time change
DAY 2: SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 1ST
6AM MDT - 9AM MDT
Sunrise at Emerald Lake [first meet-up location]
1 Emerald Lake Road, Field, BC V0A 1G0
Hang: 3 hour hang, coffee, sunrise, and views.
9AM MDT - 10AM MDT
Drive from Emerald Lake to Lake Louise
Drive 🚗: 1 hour
10AM MDT - 12PM MDT
Breakfast In Lake Louise 🍽
Location: up to you to choose your breakfast spot
Stop-over: 2 hours
12PM MDT - 12:30PM MDT
Leave Lake Louise For Moraine Lake
Drive 🚗: 30 minute
12:30PM MDT - 3:30PM MDT
Moraine Lake for Hangs
Moraine Lake, Improvement District No. 9, AB
Hang: 3 hours
3:30PM MDT - 4:30PM MDT
Drive from Moraine Lake For Banff 🚗
Drive time: 45 minutes
Options to explore:
- Lake Minnewanka
- Johnstone Canyon
- Banff Hoodoos
- Vermillion Lakes
- Two Jack Lakes
- Maligne Canyon Parking Lot (details and directions here)
- Marble Canyon
- Glacier Skywalk ($34 at booth, $31 online)
- Tangle Creek Falls
Set Up Camp In Banff Area
You must book your own site. All Banff camping can be found here and our preferred campsite is Two Jacks Main.
- Two Jacks Main
- Tunnel Mountain Village 1
- Tunnel Mountain Village 2
- Johnston Canyon
- Castle Mountain (first come, first serve)
- Two Jacks Lakeside (full)
DAY 3: SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 2ND
5:30AM MDT - 6:30AM MDT
Drive from Banff Campground to Lake Louise 🚗
Drive 🚗: 30 to 60 minutes
6:30AM MDT - 8:30AM MDT
Catch sunrise at Lake Louise
Hang: 2 hours
8:30AM MDT - 6PM MDT
Choose Your Own Adventure: Explore the Ice Field Parkway 🚗
Explore: 9.5 hours
6PM MST - 7:30PM MDT
Dinner In Jasper at Montana's BBQ
640 Connaught Dr, Jasper, AB T0E 1E0
Anyone in the area can meet up, call ahead for reservations.
Set-up Camping In Jasper
Preferred campsite is Pocahontas Campground
Book your own campsite here.
Go for a Dip at Miette Hotsprings
Miette Rd, Jasper, Miette Hotsprings, AB T0E 1E0
Admission is $7, closes at 11 pm
DAY 4: MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 3RD
6:30AM MDT - 6:30AM PDT
Drive from Jasper to Kinney Lake Trail 🚗
Drive: 1 hour (note the 1 hour time change)
6:30AM - 12PM PDT
Hike To Kinney Lake, Explore, Return
Hike: 5.5 to 6 hours
Arrive back at Kinney Lake Trail Parking Lot
Leave For Vancouver 🚗
Drive: 8 hours
Arrive back in Vancouver
Disclaimer: We are not guides/mountain experts and this is NOT a guided adventure.
You are attending at your own risk and with your own prep and knowledge.
Do your own research, understand the route/conditions and make sure you are comfortable on your own, if needed.
SIGN-UP & WAIVER
VOLUNTARY ASSUMPTION OF RISK, WAIVER OF LIABILITY, AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF NON-EVENT
AUG 31 - SEPT 3, 2018
ROAD TRIP TO CANADIAN ROCKIES (BC/AB)
I've read the waiver and agree.
Take me to sign-up.
PARTICIPANTS: READ THIS DOCUMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE SIGNING. THIS DOCUMENT HAS LEGAL CONSEQUENCES AND WILL AFFECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS AND WILL LIMIT YOUR ABILITY TO BRING FUTURE LEGAL ACTIONS.
NOTE TO MINORS: IF YOU ARE UNDER THE AGE OF 18, YOU MAY ONLY ATTEND THE CHASING SUNRISE EVENT ACCOMPANIED BY AN ADULT. YOU ALSO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOUR PARENT OR GUARDIAN HAS REVIEWED, UNDERSTOOD AND AGREED TO THE TERMS BELOW.
NOTE TO PARENTS/GUARDIANS OF MINORS: YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE REVIEWED, UNDERSTOOD AND AGREED TO THE TERMS BELOW (SUCH TERMS BEING INTERPRETED AS IF THEY APPLIED TO BOTH YOU AND YOUR MINOR CHILD/WARD) AND HAVE THE LEGAL AUTHORITY TO ENTER INTO THIS AGREEMENT ON BEHALF OF YOUR MINOR CHILD/WARD.
1. Released Parties AS THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL CHASING SUNRISE EVENT AND THEREFORE YOU RELSEASE ALL PARTIES including CHASING SUNRISE INC. and its affiliates and their respective directors, officers, employees, agents, contractors, insurers, spectators, co-participants, equipment suppliers, and volunteers; ALL DESTINATIONS and their directors, officers, employees, agents, contractors, insurers, equipment suppliers, and volunteers; all CHASING SUNRISE INC. sponsors, organizers, promoters, directors, officials, property owners, and advertisers; governmental bodies and/or municipal agencies whose property and/or personnel are used; and any or all parent, subsidiary or affiliate companies, licensees, officers, directors, partners, board members, supervisors, insurers, agents, equipment suppliers, and representatives of any of the foregoing (together, the “Released Parties”)
2. Releasing Parties include: the participant (and/or my participating minor child/ward) as well as participant’s (and/or my participating minor child/ward’s) spouse, children, parents, guardians, heirs, next of kin, and any legal or personal representatives, executors, administrators, successors and assigns, or anyone else who might claim or sue on participant’s (and/or my participating minor child/ward’s) behalf.
3. Voluntary Assumption of Inherent Risks: The unofficial Chasing Sunrise Event (hereafter referred to as the “the Event”) is meant to be a group of friends and acquantances freely partaking in fun personal testa of strength, stamina, and mental grit that takes place throughout a weekend. The objective is to travel to and explore the Canadian Rockies in a weekend. The Event will not be guided and is not an official Chasing Sunrise Inc. event - merely a set of destinations in sequence that any one is welcome to explore. Chasing Sunrise Inc. acts only as a communicating party to offer a potential adventure for a group of like minded individuals. In summation, The Event is merely a set of hikes that present a physical and mental challenge to participants and includes a signficant degree of risk.
I acknowledge that this is not an official Chasing Sunrise event and that the sequence of activities which make up The Event are a test of my (and/or my participating minor child/ward’s) physical and mental abilities that carries with it inherent risks of physical injury. Inherent risks are risks that cannot be eliminated completely, regardless of the care and precautions taken by Chasing Sunrise Inc. (hereafter used when referring to the corporate entity and Released Parties).
I understand and acknowledge that the inherent risks include, but are not limited to: 1) water injuries sustained while floating down a swift-water or slow-water river, 2) contact or collision with persons or objects, contact with natural obstacles, and unexpected encounters with wildlife; 3) weather-related hazards (e.g., extreme heat, extreme cold, humidity, ice, rain, fog); 4) inadequate first aid and/or emergency measures; and 5) judgment- and/or behavior related problems (e.g., erratic or inappropriate co-participant behavior, erratic or inappropriate behaviour by the participant, errors in judgment by personnel working The Event.) 6) Automobile related accidents or issues. (eg. vehicles breaking down, or injury, damage to automobile or others while commuting to and from these activities)
I further understand and acknowledge that any of these risks and others, not specifically named, may cause injury or injuries that may be categorized as minor, serious, or catastrophic. Minor injuries may include, but are not limited to: scrapes, bruises, sprains, strains, muscle soreness, nausea, cuts, sunburn, abrasions, and contusions. Serious injuries are less common, but do sometimes occur. They include, butare not limited to broken bones, fractures, torn or strained ligaments and tendons, concussions, dehydration, heat exhaustion and other heat-related illnesses, mental stress or exhaustion, infection, vomiting, dislocations, hyperthermia, hypothermia, anemia, electrolyte imbalance, loss of consciousness, dizziness and fainting. Catastrophic injuries are rare; however, we feel that participants should be aware of the possibility. I also understand that it is my responsibility to consult with my personal physician prior to participating in The Event to ensure that such participation will not pose any unusual risks to my health and well-being.
I UNDERSTAND FULLY the inherent risks involved in The Event and assert that I (and/or my participating minor child/ward) am/are willingly and voluntarily participating in The Event. I have read the preceding paragraphs and acknowledge that 1) I know the nature of The Event; 2) I understand the demands of this activity relative to my (and/or my participating minor child/ward’s) physical condition; and 3) I appreciate the potential impact of the types of injuries that may result from The Event. I hereby assert that I knowingly and willingly assume all of the inherent risks of the activity on my behalf and/or on behalf of my minor child/ward and take full responsibility for any and all damages, liabilities, losses, or expenses that I (and/or my participating minor child/ward) may incur as a result of participating in The Event.
I understand that it is my responsibility to know the area, and if I believe or become aware that any are unsafe or pose unreasonable risks, I agree to immediately notify appropriate personnel. I (and/or my participating minor child/ward) accept full and sole responsibility for the condition and adequacy of my/our equipment and assert we have the knowledge to operate the equipment in a safe manner. I understand that the event is not guided and I am fully responsible for navigating the hike on my own.
4. Waiver of Liability for Ordinary Negligence: In consideration of being permitted to participate in The Event, and for other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which are hereby acknowledged, I (on behalf of the Releasing Parties) hereby forever waive, release, covenant not to sue, and discharge Chasing Sunrise Inc. from any and all claims resulting from the INHERENT RISKS of The Event or the ORDINARY NEGLIGENCE of the Released Parties that I (and/or my participating minor child/ward) may have arising out of my/our participation in The Event.
5. Waiver of Liability for Breach of Statutory Duty: In consideration of being permitted to participate in The Event, and for other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which are acknowledged, I (and/or my participating minor child/ward) (on behalf of the Releasing Parties) hereby forever waive, release, agree not to sue, and discharge the Released Parties from any and all claims arising from any statutory duty of care, including any duty of care owed under the Occupier’s Liability Act, [RSBC 1996] CHAPTER 337 on the part of the Releasees, and further including the failure on the part of the Releasees to take reasonable steps to safeguard or protect me/us from the risks, dangers, and hazards of participating in The Event.
This agreement applies to 1) personal injury (including death) from incidents or illnesses arising from The Event participation, which includes injury during the event, medical treatment, and while on the premises (including, but not limited to sidewalks, parking areas, restrooms, and dressing facilities); and 2) any and all claims resulting from damage to, loss of, or theft of property.
6. Indemnification Agreement
In consideration of being permitted to participate in The Event and for other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which are hereby acknowledged, I hereby agree to hold harmless, defend and indemnify the Released Parties from and against any and all claims of co-participants, rescuers, and others arising from my conduct in the course of my (and/or my participating minor child/ward’s) participation in The Event. For the purposes hereof, “claims” includes all actions and causes of action, claims, losses, costs, expenses and damages, including legal fees and related expenses. This indemnity shall survive the expiration or sooner termination of The Event.
7. Personal Information: Collection, Use and Disclosure
8. Severability: I understand and agree that this Agreement is intended to be as broad and inclusive as is permitted by the Province in which The Event is held and that if any provision shall be found to be unlawful, void, or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision shall be severed from this Agreement and does not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions.
9. Agreements for the Protection of Participants: I represent and warrant that I (and/or my participating minor child/ward) am/are in good health and in proper physical condition to safely participate in The Event. I certify that I (and/or my participating minor child/ward) have no known or knowable physical or mental conditions that would affect my/our ability to safely participate in The Event, or that would result in my/our participation creating a risk of danger to myself or to others.
I represent and warrant that I (and/or my participating minor child/ward) am/are in full command of my/our faculties and am/are not under the influence of alcohol or drugs and agree not to participate in a The Event while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. I assert that I (and/or my participating minor child/ward) have not been advised or cautioned against participating by a medical practitioner.
I understand that it is my responsibility to continuously monitor my own (and/or my participating minor child/ward’s) physical and mental condition during the Event, and I agree to withdraw immediately and to notify appropriate personnel if at any point my/our continued participation would create a risk of danger to myself or to others. In the event of an injury to me (and/or to my participating minor child/ward) that renders me/us unconscious or incapable of making a medical decision, I authorize appropriate Chasing Sunrise Inc. personnel and emergency medical personnel at the event to make emergency medical decisions on my/our behalf (including, but not limited to CPR and AED). I authorize Chasing Sunrise Inc. to secure emergency medical care or transportation (i.e., EMS) when deemed necessary by Chasing Sunrise Inc.
10. Photography/Videography: I understand that any and all photographs, motion pictures, recordings, and/or likenesses of me (and/or my participating minor child/ward) captured during The Event by Chasing Sunrise Inc., its affiliated entities or contractors, and/or local media (television camera crews, radio stations, and online bloggers) become the sole property of Chasing Sunrise Inc. I grant the right, permission and authority to Chasing Sunrise Inc. and its designees to use my name (or any fictional name), picture, likeness, portrait, motion pictures, recordings, and/or likenesses (collectively “Images”) in all forms and in all media and in all manners, without any restriction as to changes or alterations for advertising, trade, promotion, exhibition, or any other lawful purposes, and I waive any right to inspect or approve the Images including written copy that may be created and appear in connection therewith. I further understand that Chasing Sunrise Inc. and its designees have the full right to sell and/or profit from the commercial use of such Images. I hereby release and agree to hold harmless Chasing Sunrise Inc., its assigns, licensees, successors in interest, legal representatives and heirs from any liability by virtue of any blurring, distortion, alteration, optical illusion, or use in composite form whether intentional or otherwise, that may occur or be produced in the recording of the Images, or in any processing tending toward the completion of the finished product. I agree that Chasing Sunrise Inc. owns the copyright in these Images and I hereby waive any claims I may have based on usage of the Images or works derived therefrom, including but not limited to claims for either invasion of privacy, personality rights or libel.
11. Majority Age: I represent and warrant that I have reached majority age.
12. Acknowledgment of Understanding: I have read this Assumption of Risk, Waiver of Liability, and Indemnification Agreement and fully understand its terms. I understand that I (and/or my participating minor child/ward) am/are giving up substantial rights, including my/our right to sue. I further acknowledge that I (and/or my participating minor child/ward) am/are freely and voluntarily signing the agreement and participating in The Event, and intend my signature to be a complete and unconditional release of all liability due to ORDINARY NEGLIGENCE of the Released Parties or the INHERENT RISKS of the activity, to the greatest extent allowed by law in the Province in which The Event is held.
IF I AM A PARENT OR GUARDIAN OF A PARTICIPANT UNDER THE AGE OF MAJORITY WHO IS PARTICIPATING IN THE EVENT (“MINOR CHILD/WARD”), I HEREBY GIVE MY APPROVAL FOR MINOR CHILD/WARD’S PARTICIPATION IN THE EVENT, REPRESENT THAT THE MINOR CHILD/WARD IS IN GOOD PHYSICAL CONDITION AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I HAVE REVIEWED UNDERSTOOD AND AGREE TO THE TERMS HEREIN AND HAVE THE LEGAL AUTHORITY TO ENTER INTO THIS ASSUMPTION OF RISK, WAIVER OF LIABILITY AND INDEMNIFICATION AGREEMENT ON BEHALF OF THE MINOR CHILD/WARD.
General Terms. Jurisdiction. This Agreement will be governed exclusively by the laws of the province of British Columbia. Severability. If any provisions of this Agreement is invalid or unenforceable, the other provisions in the Agreement will remain in full force and effect. Entire Agreement. This Agreement constitutes the entire Agreement between the parties and replaces any prior agreements. Headings. The headings used in this Agreement are for stylistic purposes only and none of the content in the headings are intended to be legally binding.