There are certain places in this world that you must experience to understand and at the top of that list is Everest. With its summit sitting at 8,848 m (29,029 ft), it towers above anyone on this planet.
In a continued pursuit to experience what life has to offer and push ourselves to our potential, this October, we are partnering with World Expeditions to bring this community a custom trek from Kathmandu to Everest Base Camp and back.
Over 18 days of travel and 13 days of trekking, we will be ascending in true expedition style, trekking through the famous villages of Namche and Khumjung, as well as Thyangboche monastery that reflects the renowned Sherpa culture. We will be chasing sunrise in an ascent up Kala Pattar (5545m) from where we will be able to see the classic climbing routes to the summit of Everest and making a foray into Everest Base Camp, where expeditions prepare to climb the world's highest peak.
If that catches your attention, take a read below.
Due to the scope of the trip, we have very limited spots available and will be allocating them on a lottery basis.
If you're in, read through all the details and put your name down below.
And if you want to learn more about why we chose World Expeditions and the price point/trip structure, you can read about it here.
- Ascend to Everest Base Camp with our experienced team of guides, crew, and porters.
- View 8 Himalayan ranges at sunrise from Nargarkot.
- Chasing Sunrise up Kala Pattar (5545m) for unrivaled sunrise views of Everest, Lhotse, Nuptse and surrounding peaks.
- Acclimatise safely on a well-paced trek.
- Stay energized and well fed with three hearty meals a day prepared by World Expedition cooks.
- Experience the wonder of Thyangboche Monastery beneath the shadow of Ama Dablam.
- Experience a breathtaking mountain flight from Kathmandu to Lukla.
- Take in the sights of Kathmandu including the Hindu shrine of Pashupatinath and the giant Buddhist stupa at Boudhanath.
- Relax each evening at our private eco-campsites, with off-the-ground beds and a heated dining room.
Click here for a full day-by-day itinerary.
- Pre-event CS meet-ups including a trip intention workshop and a fitness workshop.
- 18 days of travel with 13 days of trekking.
- 44 meals covered (14 dinners, 13 lunches, 17 breakfast, including boiled drinking water and all meals on trekking days) – valued at US$765.
- 17 nights accommodation (4 nights in hotels, 3 nights in eco lodges, 10 nights in private eco campsites).
- Airport transfers (if arriving on Day 1).
- 15kgs luggage allowance on Kathmandu/Lukla flights.
- Quality accommodation in Kathmandu.
- Accommodation on trek in a combination of comfortable eco lodges and private eco campsites with off the ground camp beds, mattresses and pillows.
- Use of a World Expeditions trek pack which includes a quality sleeping bag, down or fibre fill jacket and insulated mat (valued at over US$500).
- Souvenir World Expeditions kit bag.
- All park entrance fees and trekking permits.
- Flights Kathmandu/Lukla/Kathmandu (valued at US$352).
- Post-trip meet-up including trip decompress, photos, and videos.
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED
- Lunch & dinner in Kathmandu
- Bottled water & alcoholic drinks
- Items of a personal nature such as phone calls, laundry, etc.
- Your international flights into and out of Kathmandu
- Airport and departure taxes
- Travel Insurance
$3,299 for 18 days of travel, 13 days of trekking, food, and accommodation.
You will be required to leave a $500 (non-refundable) deposit upfront to secure your spot.
The balance will be due 70 days before Day 1.
This does not include flight from your location to Kathmandu.
WHY WE CHOSE THIS TRIP AND PRICE POINT
After chatting with over 40 of you about the kind of experience you'd want on a trip like this, the majority of your had responded that if you were going to do it, you'd want to do it right. You'd want to go with a company that was both responsible and took care of the details so you could take in as much of the trip as possible.
After exploring the different options that were available including creating our own trip, bringing on a middle of the road tour operator, managing different parts of the experience, or partnering with an operator that took care of the details, we have decided to go with World Expeditions for our first trip to Everest Base Camp (see the reasons below).
With them, we've been able to put together a custom itinerary that blends the best of what they have to offer with the vibe and style that CS is all about, while balancing our intention of respecting the places we visit.
If you have any questions about the trip, hit us up here.
Note: as CS expands, we plan to make more trips like this available at different price points.
WHY WE CHOSE WORLD EXPEDITIONS
For us, the reputation and actions of the companies we partner with are just as important as our own.
After doing a lot of research on the different companies that trek to Everest Base Camp, we chose World Expeditions for a number of reasons:
1. LEADERS IN RESPONSIBLE TRAVEL
Responsible travel practice is at the heart of every program World Expeditions offers and is a fundamental and long-held philosophy of the company. By partnering with them, we are supporting true sustainability and protection of the local communities, natural environments, and wildlife that we engage with.
As we got to know more about them, we fell in love with their approach to offer the opportunity to experience the world, while minimizing the impact of our presence and protecting what is delicate.
Creating genuine and sustainable itineraries often translates to real costs, with a host of responsible travel practices that underpin their prices. By integrating these practices into our in-country operations, World Expeditions believes in creating a style of travel that makes the world a better place including the care and respect of their porters and guides.
You can learn more about their responsible travel initiatives here.
2. THE RIGHT PEOPLE
The more we got to know the people behind World Expeditions, the more we realized they care. The attention to detail, the willingness to entertain ideas, and the stands they make for their values. This all resonated deeply with the reasons why Chasing Sunrise exists.
3. THE RIGHT PARTNERS
World Expeditions has built strong partnerships with many of the leading organizations in sustainability, responsible travel, and stewardship including many of organizations CS looks up to such as: 10 Pieces Litter Collection Initiative, Leave No Trace, World Vision, and World Wildlife Foundation.
4. INNOVATION IN AUTHENTIC ADVENTURES
Curiosity about the world drives our desire to create new and unique experiences to get you off the well-trodden tourist trails. Enhancing your journey with authentic experiences, genuine cultural exchange and real exploration are the focal points on all of our adventures.
Keeping in mind the investment World Expeditions makes into sustainabilty and quality of life for their porters, they provide a quality service at the best of prices with almost all of the details taken care of. Working with World Expeditions, there has been no surprises, no hidden costs, and they've provided many ‘extra touches’ that ensure our experience is more than worth it.
We have more people interested in this trip than we have spots available (this trip maxes out at 24 people), so to make this fair and not just a race to get to the email first, we're going to be filling the spots from a list of people who have signed up and are committed to go.
If (and only if) you are 100% committed to going to Base Camp with us, put your name down below and we will be selecting the participants from a list (randomly) and notifying on Wednesday, June 6th.
Upon being selected, you will be required to leave a $500 deposit, with the balance due 70 days before our October 28th departure date.
Will this be your last trip to Everest Base Camp?
Absolutely not. We think everyone should experience a trip like this and will be running more trips to Everest in the future. If fitness or finances are your barrier right now, let us know. We're working on different programs that will help you overcome these.