Teekay x Chasing Sunrise: June 3rd, 2016
At Chasing Sunrise we live by a simple rule. We want to experience more by 9AM than most people do in their entire day. We're not satisfied with good enough or second-best and neither are you.
That's why on June 3rd, staying true that rule we have teamed up with Teekay for another chase. This time with over 50+ people from one of the greatest organizations in the city... even the world.
We are bringing our collective energy and passion together, fueled with the Teekay Spirit, to make this a morning none of us will ever forget.
When: Friday, June 3rd, 2016.
Time: Meeting at 3:00 AM, Mount Seymour. Taking off from the lot at 3:20 AM sharp.
Where: Mount Seymour Resort parking lot #2 (P2 1700 Mt Seymour Rd, North Vancouver BC) Diagram below.
Trail: We will be summiting First Peak up Mount Seymour. You can check out the details of it here - The link is for Third Peak and we will only be going to First Peak (the 7th dot), so it is about 3/4 of what they say there
Transportation: We will be carpooling together, and it will be coordinated as we get closer to the event.
Sunrise: 5:09AM. We plan on summiting no later than 4:40 AM.
Emergency Contact/Questions: If you have trouble finding the spot, any questions or cannot make it last minute, contact Corina (Teekay) at 604.374.2608 or Gordon (Chasing Sunrise) at 778.772.5426! If you have questions, look for the guys/girls with the glowing red arm bands in the parking lot!
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- The hike is intermediate difficulty, about 3.75km each way, with 400m of elevation gain.
- If you have done the Grouse Grind before, you won't have any issues with this. Another good test is whether you can walk 5km briskly in one interval or not. The bulk of the elevation climb is near the beginning, and on that portion, slow and steady wins.
- If you haven't broken a sweat in recent memory, or if If you have any health concerns please do make sure to check with, and be cleared for action by your physician.
- People ages 7-70 have done this before and it is something that you just need to do at your own pace.
- There will be people positioned at the front of the pack, in the middle, and sweeping at the rear: if you want to go fast you'll have friendly competition and if you need to take your time you'll have support.
WHAT TO BRING:
- A headlamp or flashlight. We will be hiking in the dark on the way up. Teekay is looking into providing these for you, details to follow.
- Good hiking boots or shoes that are adequate for dirt trail and muddy conditions.
- Dress warm, but in layers. You'll work up a good sweat on the way up, but stopping for the 60-90 minutes at the top to watch the sunrise can get cold. We suggest bringing a shell to block out the wind and bringing more than you think is necessary/taking it off as needed. (you will break a sweat on the way up, so bring a dry inner change layer)
- Bring a pair of gloves to keep your hands toasty. Hand warmers can be nice too.
- Bring an extra pair of warm socks. There are some muddy/watery sections and wet feet make for a miserable hike.
- Teekay and the Chasing Sunrise team will be supplying coffee and snacks at the peak and breakfast at the bottom. Feel free to bring your own snacks if you feel you need the extra energy.
- Bring water to keep hydrated on the way up via a water bottle or camelback.
- Hiking Poles are a great help and can be enjoyable and helpful at any level of fitness. (Optional, Teekay will NOT supply)
- Bring whatever else you need to hike up and down a mountain such as Mount Seymour ( water, nutrition, etc).
- Finally, remember to do your morning lunges. Not only do they help you warm up and keep you fit, but you'll be the coolest person in the parking lot as you do them!