We're stoked you're interested in writing for Chasing Sunrise and sharing your voice with the community!
Each month, we deliver thoughts to thousands of people around the world, helping them engage with and get after life.
To get you started, take a read through our outline and FAQs below.
We founded Chasing Sunrise out of a desire to live an engaged life.
To be able to look back and not have regret. It is about seizing the moments and opportunities to live the life we know we deeply want to live.
We exist to create a world closer where every single one of us is free and supported to explore and unlock our potential and to express, contribute, and live accordingly.
Through our blog, we look to promote diverse voices and perspectives on topics around this – not only through the people and stories we cover, but also through the voices we seek out and highlight.
The best way to understand what we write about is to read through the blog. It will help you get a feel for the topics and writing style that our community like best.
Topics we'd currently love to see more of are:
- Balancing the realities of life (work, taxes, life commitments) and what we want (our dreams, ambition, projects).
- What it means to "Make It Count."
- How to choose your path in a world with seemingly millions of possibilities.
- Exploration and failure.
- Learning to listen to yourself in an increasingly noisy world.
- All things on the topic of motivation.
- Grit and determination.
OUR VOICE + TONE
We don't use a single writing style, as we believe writers should write in their own voice, not try and mold themselves to what we want.
That said, we do have some general ground rules we loosely follow to make sure we deliver the best thoughts possible to our audience.
Our blog represents a diversity of viewpoints, orientations, lifestyles, and beliefs. We support many different lifestyles and embrace humanity as it is while discussing possible directions that it could go.
Some of these rules include:
- Be honest, authentic, and let your personality come through in your writing.
- Our tone is upbeat, optimistic, and open-minded. Our stories are written with a positive spin, rather than criticizing.
- We are friends giving friends advice.
- In the know, but not know-it-alls.
- We do not preach but share our experiences.
- We make it easy for the beginner to read, but still interested to experts.
- We're a fan of edgy topics and opposing opinions, but please don’t resort to shock value.
- If you wouldn't say something to your audience's face, don't write it.
- Your story should always provide a service to the audience. Give them something they can do with your thoughts.
- Use slang, swearing, and abbreviations sparingly.
How should I submit my post?
Submit your post as a Google document and share it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We use Google Docs because it allows us to easily collaborate with several people without passing around new versions of a Word Doc. If you’ve never shared a Google Doc before, here are easy instructions.
PS. Don’t forget to give us editing power and read the entire FAQ before you submit.
Before you submit, please run through this checklist. Did you…
- Add your name, email, website, and Twitter handle to the top of your post?
- Include your one-sentence bio at the top of your post?
- Add at least two links within your post to other posts on Chasing Sunrise? (Use relevant keyword anchors like this.)
- Turn your post into an editable Google Doc? (Because Google can be finicky, that means creating your post as a Google Doc — cutting and pasting if you’ve written it in Word — rather than uploading a Word Doc to Drive.)
If so, you’re good to go!
Should I pitch you my idea before writing the post?
We love it when you do that! Pitch your idea by emailing us at email@example.com.
Note that we can’t guarantee publication until we review a completed submission. We’re happy to evaluate your pitch though before you get to writing and see how we can make it align!
When will I hear back from you after I send my pitch?
Please allow up to two weeks for us to respond to your pitch.
How should I submit my pitch?
Send your pitches to firstname.lastname@example.org. If your pitch is approved, we’ll be in touch with next steps.
Have any tips for ensuring my piece is a fit for Chasing Sunrise?
- Please write in the “you” voice as much as possible, then support your advice with personal experience or stories.
- Posts should be written in blog style, with short paragraphs, numbered lists, bullets, and lots of white space.
- Including a few sub-headings is much appreciated (we love to use H2!)
- Only one space between sentences, please!
How long should my posts be?
Aim for 500-1,000 words.
Do you pay?
Chasing Sunrise values artists, writers, and creatives and we are working to increase our ability to pay them so that they can all keep doing what they love to do – because when they do, it makes all of our lives better.
For now we're a highly engaged community with all of our eyes turned to this platform, and our actions turned back out in the real world. Great work will have influence.
Should I include links within the piece?
Yep. Please include links that will be helpful and relevant to the reader and add depth to the article. They can be to an appropriate post on your site, another post on our site, or to one on any other news site or blog.
We ask that you include at least two links within your post to other posts on Chasing Sunrise. If for some reason you can't make this work, let us know, and we work with you on it.
Insert links in your copy via anchor text or keywords, for example.
Should I write a headline?
Hell yeah! We reserve the right to tweak it for SEO, style, or to make it more attention-grabbing.
We actually write approximately 15 headlines before choosing a single one. If you want to suggest one or two (or 10) potential headlines, it makes our job way easier!
Will you edit my post?
Yes, we’ll edit for content and clarity, doing our best to preserve your voice and article.
You’ll be able to see our changes in your Google Doc and we’ll often work with you a few weeks ahead of your publishing date on edits.
Can I repost my submission on my blog?
Nope. If we run your post on Chasing Sunrise, we retain the rights to that content.
We don’t allow republishing on your own blog or any other website as reposting content hurts SEO traffic results for everyone involved and we try and keep it clean.
That said, you will always get credit for all your work and we actively drive traffic to our blog and your work.
Are you going to publish my piece?
We reserve the right to not publish your post if we decide it’s not a strong fit for Chasing Sunrise.
You are then free to publish it elsewhere.
Should I include a photo?
Yeah, include a photo you think fits the article. However, we can't promise we'll use it as we do keep a certain aesthetic to the site.
If you send a photo, please make sure you are allowed to use it and you provide who the credit goes to.
What should I do after I submit my post?
We will give you a heads up when your article is running and we hope you'll be active in the comments, responding to readers’ questions or thoughts, and sharing it with your networks. If the post does well, we send it out to our larger mailing list!
Stoked and we look forward to your contributions!