Disclaimer: we are not mountain guides or mountain experts. Before you come, do your own research, understand the route, have the right gear, and make sure you are comfortable getting up and down on your own.
We're following the heat on a weekend that is looking to be one of the best that has graced the south coast this year. It's supposed to get up to 27 deg out there!
We're going to hit up Elk Mountain, summit high above the valley, and then drop down to the river to float, hang, soak up some sun, snack hard, and swim if you're feeling nasty.
Grab some friends, let's hit this up and enjoy the hell out of a sunny Sunday.
What: Summit of Mount Elk followed by River Hangs
When: Sunday, May 21st, 2017, 6am.
Time: Meeting at the trail head for 6:00AM, taking off from the lot at 6:20AM Don't be late!
Difficulty Level: 1-2 hike is intermediate 4KM each way, 800m elevation gain, 1300m total elevation get to know the details here.
Emergency Contact/Questions: If you have trouble finding the spot, any questions or cannot make it last minute, contact Gordon at 778-772-5426
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Weather – ...warm... dry... woah. What a change.
- Cell service – Perfect! But hard to use when climbing w/ both hands?
- Research – Youtube the hell out of some bouldering tips and come in like a pro (majority of us will be hardcore amateurs)
This is NOT a guided adventure.
Assess your own ability, know the route/area, the conditions and make sure you are adequately prepared with the proper gear.
- Comfy pants and shirt (optional really, though). That's it. Shoes are included in the price.
- The best snack game you've got.
Don't have gear? Head over to the closest Mountain Equipment Co-op and pick it up!
OTHER RECOMMENDED GEAR
- More snacks.
CODE OF CONDUCT
This community has been built on the strong values of respect, care, and responsibility for people and the areas we interact with. Ignorant, disrespectful, or damaging behaviour isn’t tolerated.
We’re all in this one together, so please, don't be that person. We have some simple rules we live by up there:
LEAVE NO TRACE
- Stay on the trail.
- Leave no garbage and pick-up anything you see that shouldn’t be there.
- Care for the wild as if it was your own – because it is.
- We are stepping into the wilderness, so getting everyone up and down safely is priority one / the responsibility of everyone.
- Understand where you are going, what you are doing, what the trail conditions are like, and who you are going with. Make sure you are adequately prepared for all of it.
- Give people space up there, stay away from cliff edges, and don't go near the edge of snowbanks - they collapse.
- If you have questions, ask. If you see something that’s not quite right or feel unsafe at anytime, let the people around you know ASAP.
- Don’t do anything that puts you or other people at risk and if you have to question it, you probably shouldn't do it.
RESPECT & RESPONSIBILITY
- Act with respect and courtesy for all those around you.
- Bring good vibes only.
- Be responsible for your actions. Know the impact they have on others and be a damn good human.
FAQ & OTHER
Do I have to sign-up? Yes, to attend, sign-up is mandatory. We require sign-up for a few reason: 1) to get a handle on how many people are coming up, 2) so we can provide updates if necessary, and, most importantly 3) to make sure that everyone understands the risks of the event, what is involved, and the rights they are waiving by attending.
Does it cost anything? This time - just $15 bucks! Show The Hive some love on social.
There are only two steps to signing up!
1. Fill out The Hive's Waiver here
2. Confirm your spot and pay just below: